Blogs about Animals
Ask an Advocate by Humane Society of Grand Valley
- An interview blog published by Grand Valley State University’s animal advocacy organization that I was President and Political Action Committee Leader of (and also managed the blog for the last year). The blog features interviews with prominent and lesser known animal advocates across Michigan and the United States.
Animals and Politics by Michael Markarian
- A great blog by the President of the Humane Society Legislative Fund that keeps you up-to-date on the most pressing legislative news concerning animals at the federal and state levels.
Animals and Us by Hal Herzog
- Engaging, eye-opening, and often funny, this blog by Dr. Herzog is one of the best I’ve read on human-animal relationships and interactions.
The Inner Lives of Animals by Jonathan Balcombe
- A wonderfully written and informative blog by Dr. Balcombe that focuses on animal behavior and frequently delves into the less considered area of animal pleasure.
Blogs about Cooking & Baking
Pretty Happy Baking by Allie
- A cheerful baking blog by a past colleague of mine filled with mouth-watering recipes and equally droll-worthy photographs.
Blogs about the Environment
350.org —- nonprofit grassroots environmental action organization website
- One of my favorite environmental organizations out there because of their emphasis on empowering everyday citizens to take action and band together as a community. The website features a blog on its homepage and also plenty of resources and campaigns for those interested in participating in any grassroots advocacy.
Yale Environment 360 —- a publication of the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies
- A great comprehensive environmental news publication that publishes a wide-variety of writing from opinion pieces to in-depth environmental analyses.
Blogs about Movies
Voyeur Cinema by Brianna E.
- A well-written film blog by a dear friend that features great reviews and movie suggestions showcasing films you might not have yet discovered or considered.
Blogs about Teaching
Two Writing Teachers by Ruth Ayres & Stacey Shubitz
- A nice blog about teaching writing with tons of quotes, advice, and tips.
Blogs about Writing
American Life in Poetry by Ted Kooser
- A free print & online weekly newspaper column by Kooser, the 13th United States’ Poet Laureate, that features a poem by a contemporary American poet and a brief introduction to the poem by Kooser himself.
Caffeinated Convos by Heidi Kim
- An inspirational blog by my good friend. She writes about what she has learned from complete strangers who she has sat down with to have a cup of coffee or tea. Her goal is to sit down & chat with 52 strangers every week for 52 weeks.
- A Tumblr blog that’s a great source for daily writing prompts and quotes about writing and publishing.
How a Poem Happens by Brian Brodeur
- A fantastic blog that looks into how a poet crafts a poem. Each month, Brodeur interviews a prominent American poet, asking them to take the reader through their writing process.
Lines We Live Be —- Poets & Writers Magazine
- An uplifting and nostalgic blog filled with photographs of underlined passages from well-loved books.
Writerly Life by Blair Hurley
- A writing blog featuring great writing prompts, exercises, tips, advice, techniques, and thoughts on literary life.